2.09.2011

back home

We are back from CA and in recovery mode, nursing colds and plugged ears and washing load after load of laundry. Needless to say, I haven't organized my pictures yet. But we had a fabulous time and I can't wait to post about it soon.
Even though we had another sick day - day number 2 of not setting foot out of the house - we enjoyed ourselves. Aida and Sophie learned how to melt crayon shavings in wax paper with an iron. This was a highlight of their day. We cut hearts out of the finished product to prepare for "Valenstine Day." Aida hopped around the kitchen singing, "We are the melters. We are the melters." Sophie bounced in her chair singing, "Valenstine Day. Valenstine Day!"
After lunch Aida said, "Let's make some peanut butter cookies." I said "sure." I measured, the girls poured, and then they ran and hid in their room while I turned the mixer on. The cookies are delicious. I have already eaten 15 (that is only a slight exaggeration).
The girlies snuggled up on the couch with me and our baby went crazy. I laid 2 sweet little hands on my stomach and watched eyes light up as these big sisters felt their little sister move for the first time. Unforgettable.

I came into their room after Quiet Resting Time to find them both without one stitch of clothing on. Maybe they think we're still in Santa Barbara? Clearly we are not, though, because we spent the afternoon watching snowflakes fall. The ground was so covered by the time Elijah got home that he almost missed the driveway and came very close to parking on the front lawn. Then we watched out the window some more while car after car gave up as they tried to crawl up the hill that is our street and instead abandoned their vehicles alongside the road. We had counted 5 by the time it got dark. I thought maybe we should post a sign a bit down the hill that said, "Don't even try."

It's been a day full of blessing. And I'm going to have another cookie now.

5 comments:

Megan Miller said...

You have such a tender Mama's heart. I love how you are so present with the girls and embrace this season of their lives wholeheartedly.

WendyLady@GoodBooks said...

It was so good to see you and the girls, Amanda. I hope you didn't get sick from me! :(
Eat a cookie for me - I LOVE pb cookies. ;)

Jen said...

I love "Valenstine" - maybe Frankenstein's handsome younger brother? ;-)

Amanda said...

Jen, those were my thoughts exactly! :)

Aunt Wendy, I hope we didn't get YOU sick. You never know which way it goes when you are spreading cross-country germs. We loved the chance to see you, too. Hope you feel better soon.

Megan, thank you for your encouragement, friend. I do have such a sense that these days with my girls at home are just flying by.

Amanda said...

We miss you so much....but we have been sick unto death in this house, so I guess it is good you aren't still here. Stay safe on those snowy roads, and get well!
I love you-
Mama/Nana