10.19.2010

just a day at home


Nana is in town for the week but none of us were feeling super great so we stuck around the house today. We were lucky to have a visit from Aunt Jac and the indomitable Robert Gordon this morning - I have never seen a kid go down the slide like that one does.

"Quiet Resting Time" was a disaster - sisters were screaming, threats were made, tears were shed. You would have thought the world was ending (it sort of felt like it was for a minute there). I find it happens like this so often - when I feel desperate for a rest my children refuse to work within my own will and instead insist upon exerting their own. Which usually does not involve resting. This always presents me with the question - am I humble enough to surrender my own desires and attend to that which God has given me? With His grace - and a thousand whispers of "Lord, have mercy" - sometimes I am.

So we were out of bed and treading that ever-so-thin line between boredom and peace. Working to find our rhythm, we did find peace - in a glance at rain showers, in candles and tea, in building and watching fall, building and watching fall, building and watching fall. We snuggled up to some Veggie Tales silly songs on Nana's computer and to lots of books. We tickled and kissed and cooked. We painted and played and pretended. I prayed, seeking wisdom and patience, offering gratitude and thanks for these precious days at home.


1 comment:

Melissa Braun said...

And I am loving every minute-even not-so-quiet-resting time!
A Very Grateful Nana